Saturday, April 24, 2010

How I extended the extension

For a while I've realised that there were insufficient sidings at Beeston Market Station - the main station on the line. I figured that the easiest way to add more would be to add a couple of planks to the width. A trip to the local fencing supplier resulted in two 6 inch wide, 8 foot long treated fence rails.
My first plan was to extend the battens under the existing station board with 4" x 1" pressure treated timber (from the same fencing contractor):

These were further treated with brown wood preservative:

Despite firmly attaching the extended battens I was not convinced they would be firm enough. Although they would certainly support the layout, I wasn't quite so sure they would bear my weight when I climb up to cut the hedge or use it as a convenient seat. So, I added some triangulation to three of the battens where there were already posts:

and a added a post to the fourth batten:

The fence rails were cut to fit the space........

and then treated:

Roofing felt was tacked on to the inner side of the new planks which were then screwed to the battens.

The felt was then laid over the new planks:

and trimmed roughly to the right size and shape .........

and tacked on to the planks................

with galvanised clouts ...........

Finally, the excess felt was trimmed off

The track was loosely laid in place to check clearances

before the existing track on the loop was lifted

and cut to accommodate the new track formation...........

Last of all, I decided to add a further extension to the boards for the signal box

The intention is that the two shorter sidings (nearer the camera in the shot below) will be used for an engine shed and the two longer sidings will be used for goods - maybe with a goods shed. One day, I might event exchange the point in the middle distance for a double slip to add a goods loop.

I am in the process of making stock boxes for the new sidings (see How I made some stock boxes) and will eventually add more detailing to the station platform (ie general clutter, people, nameboards, etc.).

2 comments:

Richard Huss said...

Still looks easier than the equivalent job being done just now at Tywyn Pendre - see here ...

GE Rik said...

Just a question of scale, I suppose........

Thanks for the link, looks like I'll have to pay a visit to the Talyllyn.