Saturday, January 18, 2020

Progress Report 78

I have decided (call it a New Year's Resolution), that this year I am going to try posting Progress Reports more frequently. They tend to be quarterly unless I feel I have a number of developments to report but this means I often end up writing quite lengthy reports which I am sure most of you loyal followers will be reluctant to read. So, I'll try shorter, sweeter and more frequent updates to see if that is easier for you to digest (assuming anyone actually does bother to read them.... 😏 ).

My last Progress Report was in October (ie three months ago) which seems to have reported quite a few developments - mainly because the previous report had been 7 months earlier. This is not the best time of year for garden railway modelling, but there do seem to have been a few developments to report.
  • The track behind the workshop has been relaid and partly landscaped
  • I have written-up how I constructed the Snailbeach hopper wagons
  • I have started painting the figures mentioned in the last progress report
  • I am working on a Bluetooth version of the 2.4gHz transmitter
  • The workshop has now been completed and used for various projects
  • I have had another couple of articles published in Garden Rail

Permanent Way

The trackbed behind the old sheds has never been a high priority and so, over the past fifteen years, has been allowed to slowly deteriorate. Despite that, it was never sufficiently neglected that it caused derailments, presumably if it had I would have attended to it sooner. However, the blocks in the middle of the section had sunk over the years and so what should have been perfectly level had developed a couple of undulations.

 Furthermore, the new workshop which replaced the sheds (see How I constructed the Workshop) was lower than its predecessors and so the track was now mounted on top of an embankment which, over time, would probably have led to further deterioration of the trackbed.

The old track was removed, a new retaining wall was constructed from bricks and the blocks replaced. The track was then reinstated.

The erection of the workshop also resulted in the six foot high hedge of conifers being reduced to around two feet. There was no longer a need for the rickety sheds to be hidden and the hedge prevented me having a view from the workshop of my railway and the rest of the garden. It also reduced the amount of light entering the window. With the removal of the hedge, one section of the railway now became more visible, the area around the junction of the copper mine branch (shown above).

This area was landscaped and will eventually be planted with suitable shade-loving foliage.

This area will no doubt feature in future videos and photos of the line in action. For more information see How I improved the trackbed behind the workshop

Rolling stock

 Snailbeach hoppers

As mentioned in the previous progress report, the Snailbeach hopper wagons have entered service and have now all been fitted out with brake gear and weathered. The process has been written up in detail (see How I constructed a rake of Snailbeach-like hopper wagons).

It was interesting to see how I could integrate the additional traffic movements to and from the sand quarry into my usual operating sessions which aim to represent a typical day's running on the railway. I've not perfected it yet, but have decided that, whereas the copper mine usually has three trains Up and Down the line each day (because the spoil is transported as well as the ore), the sand quarry will only require one train in each direction per day. See from 4m 54s onwards....

Infrastructure

 Figures

The figures purchased at the Llanfair Show mentioned in the previous Progress Report are now in the process of being painted, together with others which I have acquired over the past year.

It takes me quite a while to paint figures. I tend to do this job at intervals. I find it very time consuming, particularly as I have had 30 figures to paint. I tend to mix one blend of colours - for example blue and/or black and then paint all the bits of figures which need colours. On another occasion, I might focus on flesh colour, and so on.

Finally, I will add the fine details to the figures such as hair, facial features and shoes.


Operation

 Operating sessions

Interestingly, I have had very few full operating sessions this year. This is partly because when some of the spells of fine weather occurred I was not available and partly because I have been focusing on sorting out the Arduino control systems which has proven to be very time consuming (see How I control locos with Arduino and a phone app). However, a few part-sessions have been run and various individual trains have been run at intervals.
Manning Wardle loco No. 6 departs Beeston Market with the Down pickup goods
No 6 shunting the pickup goods at Bickerton
No. 6 approaching Peckforton with the Up afternoon mixed

Arduino based control systems

As was mentioned in the previous two Progress Reports, I have been investigating Bluetooth phone app and 2.4gHz based radio control systems (see How I control locos with Arduino and a phone app).   I have gained a great deal of satisfaction in getting to grips with Arduino programming and understanding the basics of interconnecting Arduino modules, I have been disappointed with the level of control which the approaches have given. I suppose I have been spoiled by using the Deltang system which is very reliable, easy to use and provides a very good level of control, especially at slow speeds. However, I am generally quite persistent and so am continuing to explore various options to see if I can overcome some of the limitations of Arduino which I have identified so far.

My next line of enquiry is to explore using a Bluetooth module in place of the phone app as a transmitter. I am hoping that the more positive features of Bluetooth can be combined with the advantages of having a handheld transmitter with a knob and switches. It's early days yet, but I will let you know of progress in my next report.

Other

Workshop

I am now beginning to settle into my new workshop and am in the process of making it more homely and have started reorganising the storage. In the past, I have tended to throw things willynilly into drawers and storage boxes, but have now started partitioning the various containers to make life easier when trying to find things.



I have now installed a couple of security measures, the details of which I will not share here for obvious reasons. Needless to say, it is handy having a knowledge of basic electronics and radio control .....

I am now considering installing a sink, using the rainwater supply from the roof as my primary use of water is for watering-down acrylic paints and cleaning paint brushes.

Magazine articles

I have had another couple of magazine articles published in Garden Rail since my last progress report.




Since starting my blog fifteen years ago, I have not sought monetary reward when sharing my thoughts and experiences, so it is now quite gratifying to receive a modest fee for my scribblings which, of course, I will plough into further developments on the railway.

Future plans

There is always plenty to do on the railway but, as always, I have to prioritise jobs. The most immediate are:

  • Finishing painting the figures and allocating the railway personnel to particular station related roles;
  • Experimenting with Bluetooth modules to make a more reliable handheld Arduino based transmitter;
  • Titivating Bulkeley and Bickerton stations
  • Applying weathering to the locos and coaching stock;
  • Enhancing the detailing on some of the more basically finished wagons.
There are clearly plenty of jobs which need to be done, but these are probably the most urgent.

As mentioned earlier, this is the quietest time in terms of running sessions. However, it is probably the busiest in terms of construction and maintenance. I am looking forward to an improvement in the weather and am already planning my next video productions. 

As they say, watch this space!

4 comments:

Frédéric said...

Hello Rik,

I know of at least one person to "bother" with your blog. ;-)
In fact, it's due to your accounts that I successfully converted my own loco to battery power. My father was so impressed by its performance, I'm now charged to convert one of his own.
Feel free to visit my own page https://zamit.eu/en to check on what fruits your fine articles are bearing.

I'm looking forward to more frequent posts. Until next time,

Yours,

Frédéric

Mike M said...

I have been following your railway adventures for some time and they are not only fun, inspiring and thought provoking but extremely educational ---- the large scale train hobby exposes all sorts of talents to be used. Thank you for allowing us to live along with you in your PLR world from time to time. But now I have a question after seeing you lovingly prepare some new Chesire residents for your world. I don't remember seeing how you actually place the figures around your layout. I assume you use the brass pegs in one of each figures legs into holes drilled into the places where they will stand. If I am right, how do keep the tiny holes from filling with sand after rains, etc.? If you don't use holes, how do you do it?

GE Rik said...

Thanks for the feedback, Mike. I'm glad you've found my scribblings interesting. That was my intention - an opportunity to take a metaphorical look over my shoulder.

Yes, the pegs go into holes drilled in the platforms etc. The holes in the wooden platform at Beeston Market somehow don't get filled but the holes drilled into the concrete platforms are plugged with small yellow plastic rawlplugs which do fill up after a while. So, at the start of each season, I take a battery drill with a 2mm drill around with me to open up the holes again.

GE Rik said...

Thanks Frédéric
I'm glad to hear your battery conversion worked out ok. It's certainly a decision I've not regretted. And thanks for the link. I will investigate.
Rik