Friday, July 10, 2020

How I made a test track in the workshop

When repairing, maintaining or trialling new stock I've found it is handy to have some track nearby to give it a quick test run. Similarly, when setting-up a radio control receiver or, more particularly, a soundcard, it's really helpful to have somewhere to test-run a loco.

When my workshop was located in our conservatory, the railway was just outside the door and so it was relatively easy to put something on the track and give it a test. However, having spent last summer constructing a new workshop (see How I made my workshop), ......


.... and over the winter, becoming firmly established inside it, .....

.... I sacrificed the convenience of having a length of track just outside the door.

What I felt I needed was a test track inside the workshop. My first thought was to lay a couple of lengths of track behind the power tools on the bench, .....

..... but then I pondered the idea of extending that to run right round the inside of the workshop. This would enable to run-in stock more fully, or even just have something running while I was working on a project on the workbench. Maybe, if I included a couple of sidings, I could even run it as a short railway.

As you can see from the above photo, I have a stack of spare track in the corner of the workshop which I had bought before I abandoned the idea of creating a short branch from Beeston Market to the canal quayside. I worked out I had enough track in store to complete a circuit of the workshop, but figured it would be better to use R1 sectional curves in the corners. These would ensure the curves would be consistent and avoid the need to use a rail-bender - something I have never used or acquired. I investigated  buying sufficient R1 curves to complete a circle and was somewhat surprised at their expense, even secondhand! At this price, it would cost £120 (GBP) to buy what I needed. Far too much!!

I then had a thought! Around ten years ago, I had bought a secondhand Playmobil railcar for my young nephew to use when he came visiting from the USA. Since then, it has been lounging in the loft - together with a box full of plastic track!

Although I knew the Playmobil railcar runs happily on LGB 45mm gauge track, would my stock run on the Playmobil track?

I retrieved the track and set up a few lengths plus a turnout on the floor and, to my surprise, my stock ran through it!

But where should the test track be located? Near the ceiling? This would keep it clear of all-important shelving, but be inconvenient when requiring repeated test-runs of stock. Near the floor? I could then link it to the track outside, but that would require too much effort in moving all the existing furniture. The same height as the power tools bench? That seemed to me to be the least worst option. It would require removable sections across the door and the corner sink, but would be doable - with a bit of effort in re-positioning all the existing shelving!

I decided to start with the most difficult section - across the doorway. This turned out to be simpler than I expected - a few quick sketches in my workbook followed to weigh up the options. A lift-out bridge would need to be stored somewhere, whereas a hinged bridge would be much easier manage. However, it it lifted upwards it would either obscure the light switches or interfere with the hinged tool-board. However, if it dropped downwards ......
A brass hinge and a barrel bolt were acquired, together with a length of 6" x ¾" timber and, once the CD rack had been  raised slightly, the job was done.



It seemed logical that the next wall to be attacked was the one containing the window and the workbench. Firstly, the bookshelves needed to be lowered so the bottom shelf was at the same height as the track .......

....... and a portal needed to be cut in its side.

Then a length of 6"x¾" timber was positioned to span the rest of the void and the tool rack behind the workbench was increased in height to support it.


Next, I tackled the corner containing an ex-caravan sink. My initial idea was to use a hinged flap, but when I tried various configurations of trackwork across the corner, it seemed simpler to just place a shelf across the front of the sink.

There is still plenty of room to access the sink and, if necessary, I can always raise the height of the sink to match the railway.

The workbench for the power tools was the easiest part of the installation. It just required the tools to be moved forward and mains power routed under the bench to each tool.


Finally, putting the track along the back wall was another easy task. I had already installed adjustable shelving racks and, by coincidence, one of the positions for the brackets matched the height of the test track. The pre-existing shelf was lowered to below the railway shelf and some more brackets were acquired from my local DIY store. A couple more 8 foot lengths of 6" x ¾" completed the job.


I had to buy a few more straight sections of Playmobil track to complete the circuit and the two passing loops (why are there never enough straight sections in a train set???), but other than that, there was sufficient in the box to complete the test track.

I was pleased to discover that most of my stock successfully negotiates its way through the Playmobil points, despite them being of a unique design with only one moving blade. They, and the ordinary track, also appear to allow stock with plain unflanged wheels to pass through, so their design is quite ingenious. However, some of my stock, particularly wagons and bogie coaches with finer flanged wheels had difficulty passing through the frogs when taking the curved route through the points and so I have installed thin aluminium shims to widen the check rails which helps to guide them through.

So, my Playmobil test track seems to be quite successful.


The weather for the past few days has been appalling, with almost continuous and heavy rain. It has been quite stimulating to have trains running around me whilst working at the bench and it has provided an inducement for me to finish off the fitting of my own design of couplings to the last remaining unfitted items of rolling stock (See Progress Report 82 - pending). The tight R1 curves are probably the ultimate test as to whether I've got the placement of the couplings right!

Already, I have found it extremely handy to have a length of track just above the workbench. I can immediately test what I've been working on. If it's a loco, I can even send it around the track to retrieve the next item of stock requiring attention!! I suppose, my next job is to be able to operate the points remotely so I don't even have to get up out of my chair to select the stock on the track .... or am I getting a bit too lazy!

No comments: